When I was a kid I woke up at 7 in the morning got ready and went to school which starts at 8. But when I started college, something changed obviously the vibe and also you meet a lot of people with different routines and habits. And it just sounded really lame to follow a specific schedule. After college, I briefly worked at a night job and that somehow messed up my sleep schedule.
As some of you may know, I have been trying to get up early in the morning around 6 AM but I am not pretty consistent about it. The good thing is I have at least taken the action. There are various studies that tell you that getting up early in the morning makes you more productive, optimistic and just feeling great.
So as the last month of second quarter wraps up, I would like to challenge myself in doing something which sounded reallyyy boring to me a few years ago.
What is my challenge and why?
So here it is- The challenge is getting up at 5 AM for 3 work weeks.
One fine day, I just asked myself what is the worst thing that could happen if I do this challenge? So you might ask me – why 3 weeks? Because I feel like 2 weeks is too short and 4 weeks is too long so I decided to go for 3 weeks which is long enough but at the same time doesn’t get boring.
If you are not where you want to be, do not quit, instead reinvent yourself and change your habits- Eric Thomas
I am not sure if I am going to keep getting up at 5 AM but this is going to be a good time to figure that out. My challenge starts on June 05th and ends on June23rd.
PS: I am not doing this on the weekends just to keep myself sane;)
Why am I writing this blog?
Like I have mentioned earlier, I have been trying to get up at 6 but not quite successful at it so I am writing this blog in order to hold myself accountable. Writing down the goals is definitely a great way to not give up on them.
So next time you see me make sure you ask if I did this challenge successfully and if I am still getting up at 5 in the morning.
How to do it?
Andd now this is my favorite part- the HOW?
We all want to make changes to our lifestyle or get that dream job but for the most part we don’t know how to get it or simply just don’t take any action.
Few tips that will help you to get up early:
1) Keep the alarm far away from your bed so you actually need to get up and turn off the alarm.
2) Definitely invest in a good alarm. I think relying on your phone could be a distraction with all the notifications that pop up.
3) An hour before you plan on going to bed- don’t do anything- No emails-No GOOGLE nothing-It relaxes your mind so you are naturally falling asleep and not forcing yourself at the last minute.
4) Don’t hit that snooze button- You either wake up when the alarm buzzes or turn of the alarm and go back to bed.
a. Because you are not really sleeping in those 15 mins and you actually are more tired than you think.
5) Lastly, make sure you set clear goals as to what you want to achieve in those early hours. Without a clear set goal- it is very easy to go back to bed. Also, short term goals are more effective.
So you might not be a morning person at all but it is always good to challenge yourself and do something out of your comfort zone. Although it doesn’t sound like a big deal but these subtle changes in your lifestyle is what makes people do more and eventually succeed. If you still think that getting up early sounds boring then I am assuming you are just LAZY to do it! Haha, Just kidding 😉
Nonetheless, I do enjoy and have fun in whatever I am doing!:)
Sooo lastly, just like how Barney Stinson in “How I met your mother” says “CHALLENGE ACCEPTED”.